Land 2 Air

Study Permit in Canada | Complete Guide and Requirements

What is a study permit?

Canada is a popular international student destination for students from all over the world. If you want to study in Canada, you will need to first obtain a Canadian study permit.

The study permit is a document that we issue to foreign nationals that allows them to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. To study in Canada, most foreign nationals require a study permit. Before you apply, make sure you have all of the necessary documents. You must apply before travelling to Canada. 

Your study permit does not serve as a visa. It prevents you from entering Canada. A visitor visa or electronic travel authorization may also be required (eTA). If we approve your study permit, we’ll send you one along with it.

What is a student visa?

The holder of a Canada student visa may begin their academic career in Canada. Students require a study permit in addition to their visa, which is essentially the same as a Canada visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTa). Therefore, the Canada student visa combines an eTA and a study permit or a visiting visa and a study permit.

When studying in Canada, you must acquire a Canadian Student visa. With the best of the best facilities, there are numerous areas of expertise that you can study in Canada. However, if your particular course is less than six months in duration, you may be able to pass by without one.

Who needs a study permit?

All foreign students who wish to attend Canadian universities and who require a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) must get a student visa and permission. While the permit alone does not grant you entry into Canada, when used in conjunction with an eTA or a guest visa, it enables you to begin your studies.

However, some individuals may not require a study permit in specific circumstances in order to study in Canada, such as:

Under the condition that you finish the programme in 6 months or less, you will only require a visitor visa or eTA if your study programme in Canada is shorter than 6 months long. A study permit is required if the brief programme will take you longer than six months to finish.

You do not require a study permit if you are a member of the family or staff of a foreign representative to Canada who is recognised by Global Affairs Canada.

You do not require a study permit if you are a member of a foreign armed force serving in Canada on official business, but your family members may.

You do not require a study permit if you are a foreign national who holds Canadian Registered Indian Status.

What Qualification do you need to enter Canada?

When you are arriving in Canada via a visa-exempt nation (such as the United States), you do not need a separate Student Visa. All you will need is a Study Permit, which you may get at a Visa Office or the Port of Entry.

When you are coming out of a nation that demands a visa to enter (for example, India), then the student will need to apply for both a Canada Student Visa as well as a Study Permit.

Eligibility requirements for Study Permit:

The institution that you will be studying at must be a designated learning institution that holds a valid DLI number

Your present financial situation must allow you to pay for tuition, personal expenses, and travel back to your home country once your course is finished

The willingness to show that you intend to depart Canada within the allowed time frame

A police clearance certificate from your native nation is necessary (if required) (PCC)

Medical Check-Up (If required)

When your course ends, what do you do?

Once your education concludes, your adventure inside Canada does not immediately end. In most cases, the Canadian government provides work permits lasting up to three years following your time completing a postgraduate or graduate degree from a participating institution. Departing graduates could use this to get important experience in the field, repay their student loans, or even explore the Canadian working world for long-term employment.

Who can come with me during my studies?

As an international student studying in Canada, you can have your family join you in Canada. If you are in a marriage and have a spouse/common-law partner, they can then apply for an open work permit.

They do not need a job offer and can work for any employer in any position. Their work permit will then be issued for the same period as your study permit.


What Our Happy Customer Says

About Land2Air Immigration Services



Study Visa



Visitor Visa



Spouse Visa



Work Permit