Land 2 Air

Canada Family Sponsorship Program | Land2air Immigration

  • Home
  • Family Sponsorship

What is Family Sponsorship Program?

Canada has sponsorship programs for permanent residents and citizens who want to bring their loved ones to the country. Certain family members can become permanent residents of Canada under these programs.

Family sponsorship programs, one of the most popular streams of Canadian immigration, make it simple for citizens and permanent residents to bring their spouse and immediate family members to Canada with reduced processing times because Canada understands that family should never be put on hold.

There are two stages to becoming a permanent resident for your eligible relatives.

  • You submit an application to sponsor your relatives.
  • Your relatives must apply for permanent residency.

You must submit both your sponsorship application and your relative’s permanent residence application at the same time.

    Get In Touch

    Who can sponsor?

    To apply as a sponsor, you must be at least 18 years of age and a:

    Canadian Citizen

    Permanent resident of Canada

    Someone who is enrolled as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

    If you want to sponsor a family member to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must:

    Provide financial help, when your relative arrives.

    Be able to meet basic needs for yourself and your relative

    Who you can sponsor?

    Only in very specific circumstances you can sponsor a relative such as a brother, sister, aunt, or uncle. In Canada, there are two strands of sponsorship, and these are only available in certain circumstances

    Orphaned siblings, or relatives such as nephews/nieces & grandchildren

    In some cases, Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents may be able to sponsor their orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild to come to Canada. To sponsor an orphaned relative, they must be unmarried, under the age of 18, and related to you by blood or adoption.

    Other relatives (any blood relative)

    In exceptional cases, Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents may be able to sponsor one extended relative to come to Canada. Sponsors must be considered a “Lonely Canadian” to sponsor a relative who does not fit into Canada’s current Family Class definition. This implies that the sponsor does not have a spouse, common-law partner, child, parent, or grandparent.

    However, if the sponsoring person does not meet the needed requirements, they will need to research different methods of obtaining permanent residency such as the Express entry classification.

    Who isn’t eligible to sponsor a relative?

    If any of the following are applicable to you, you may not be able to sponsor:

    Are in prison

    Got social assistance for reasons other than being disabled

    Previously sponsored another relative and failed to meet the terms of the sponsorship agreement were convicted of a violent crime

    If you have failed to pay your alimony or child support payments

    Have declared bankruptcy

    Didn’t pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments

    As a sponsor through the other relative strand, you must show proof of income to prove that you will be able to support the relative you are attempting to sponsor.

    Can I sponsor a relative of any age?

    This sponsorship category is often referred to as the “lonely Canadian” category and allows a permanent resident or Canadian citizen to sponsor an adult child, sibling, aunt/uncle, or niece/nephew as well as their dependent family members.

    In order to meet the requirements, the sponsor must show they do not have a spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or grandparent, or orphaned family member, who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or who can be sponsored to Canada through the other sponsorship categories. For example, if a sponsor is married with children, they are not able to sponsor their sister to immigrate.


    What Our Happy Customer Says

    About Land2Air Immigration Services



    Temporary Applications



    Permanent Residencies



    Refugee applications